Take the Tediousness out of Prepping Food for Freeze-Drying
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Please see my disclosure for more details.
Are you an avid freeze-dryer? Do you love prepping food for freeze-drying, but find the process a bit tedious? Well, worry not, because we’ve got you covered! In this blog post, we’ll be discussing the top 7 must-have tools for prepping food for freeze-drying. These tools will not only make your life easier but will also help you save time and effort. Don’t worry, I got you!
Why Prepping Food for Freeze-Drying is Important
Before we jump into the tools, let’s first understand why prepping food for freeze-drying is so important. Freeze drying is an excellent way to preserve food for a long time, but it’s only effective if the food is properly prepped. Properly prepping food (say that 3 times fast) before freeze-drying ensures that the food retains its texture, taste, and nutrients even after being stored for a long time. It also makes the freeze-drying process more efficient by reducing the time and energy required to dry the food.
My Top 7 Must-Have Tools for Prepping Food for Freeze-Drying
Now that we understand the importance of prepping food for freeze-drying, let’s take a look at the top 7 must-have tools.
- Cherry & Olive Pitter: The cherry & olive pitter is an essential tool for anyone who loves to freeze-dry fruits like cherries, olives, and grapes. This tool makes removing the pit from these fruits a breeze. With a simple press of the handle, the pit is easily removed, and you’re left with the fruit intact. This not only saves time but also ensures that the fruit doesn’t get crushed or damaged in the process.
- Apple Wedger: If you’re a fan of freeze-drying apples, then you need the apple wedger in your kitchen. This tool makes coring and slicing apples a piece of cake. With its stainless steel blades, the apple wedger easily cores and slices apples into 8 even wedges. This not only saves time but also ensures that the apples are evenly sliced, which is important for even drying during the freeze-drying process.
- Cup Slicer: The cup slicer is another essential tool for anyone who loves to freeze-dry fruits like strawberries, kiwis, and even tomatoes. This tool makes slicing these fruits into perfect rounds a breeze. With its serrated blade and ergonomic handle, the cup slicer makes slicing these fruits not only easy but also fast. This ensures that the fruits are sliced evenly, which is important for even drying during the freeze-drying process.
- Kernel Cutter: If you’re a fan of freeze-drying corn, then the kernel cutter is a must-have tool. This tool makes removing kernels from the cob a breeze. With its stainless steel blades, the kernel cutter easily removes kernels from the cob without damaging them. This ensures that the kernels are intact and ready for freeze-drying.
- Rapid Prep Mandoline: The rapid prep mandoline is a versatile tool that can be used for prepping a variety of foods for freeze-drying. This tool can slice, julienne, and shred fruits and vegetables with ease. With its adjustable blade and ergonomic handle, the rapid prep mandoline makes prepping food for freeze-drying not only easy but also fun.
- Strawberry Corer: This thing is a life-saver! Core your strawberries to create less waste of your precious berries. This tool is perfect not only for freeze-dried strawberries but you can also use it during canning season for prepping strawberry preserves.
- Snack Bar Maker: The SnackBar Maker may not fit on the trays to just put in the Harvest Right, but it is perfect for making the bars and pre-freezing them, basically using it as a mess-free mold. It also comes with a lid that is perfect for preventing freezer burn.
Why These Tools are an Absolute Must
Now that we’ve looked at each of these essential tools for prepping food for freeze-drying, let’s dive deeper into why they are an absolute must-have for anyone who loves to freeze-dry.
These tools are designed to make the prep process quick, efficient, and enjoyable. With these tools, you can prep a large quantity of food in a short amount of time, which is especially important if you’re planning to freeze-dry in bulk. These tools also ensure that the food is prepped uniformly, which is essential for even drying during the freeze-drying process.
In addition to making the prep process easier, these tools also ensure that the food is prepped properly. Proper prep is essential for retaining the texture, taste, and nutrients of the food during the freeze-drying process. With these tools, you can be sure that the food is prepped in a way that ensures its quality is maintained even after being freeze-dried.
Lastly, these tools are not only easy to use but also easy to clean. They are designed to be dishwasher safe, making cleanup a breeze. This saves time and ensures that the tools are always in good condition and ready to use for your next batch of freeze-dried food.
Other Tips for Prepping Food for Freeze-Drying
While having the right tools is essential for prepping food for freeze-drying, there are a few other tips that can help make the process easier and more efficient.
- Choose ripe, fresh produce: When prepping food for freeze-drying, it’s important to use ripe, fresh produce. This ensures that the food is at its peak in terms of texture, taste, and nutrients. Using overripe or bruised produce can result in poor-quality freeze-dried food.
- Wash and dry produce thoroughly: Before prepping, it’s important to wash and dry the produce thoroughly. This ensures that any dirt or debris is removed and reduces the risk of contamination during the freeze-drying process.
- Cut food into uniform sizes: To ensure even drying, it’s important to cut the food into uniform sizes. This ensures that the food dries at the same rate and results in a consistent texture.
- Use parchment paper: When freeze-drying food, it’s important to use parchment paper to prevent sticking. This ensures that the food is easy to remove from the tray and results in a better-quality freeze-dried product.
One of the Most Important Steps in Freeze-Drying Food
Prepping food for freeze-drying is an important step in ensuring that the food retains its texture, taste, and nutrients even after being stored for a long time. Having the right tools for prepping food is essential for making the process quick, efficient, and enjoyable. The cherry & olive pitter, apple wedger, cup slicer, kernel cutter, rapid prep mandoline, and herb mill are all must-have tools for anyone who loves to freeze-dry. With these tools, you can be sure that the food is prepped properly and uniformly, resulting in a high-quality freeze-dried product. Remember to choose ripe, fresh produce, wash and dry it thoroughly, cut it into uniform sizes, and use parchment paper to prevent sticking. Happy freeze-drying!
Join me and do what you love & Earn discounted or even free Pampered Chef products! Earn income on your terms and on your schedule. Use Code: SAYYES25 at checkout to get 25% off your kit!